The California Department of Parks and Recreation has announced $548 million in new grants which will go to the creation of new green spaces and renovations to existing facilities across the state. Roughly $113 million of total will be directed toward Los Angeles County, funding projects large and small across the region.
Projects that will bring new and or expanded green spaces to the region include:
City of Baldwin Park Barnes Park Expansion Project - $3,090,000
The funding will go toward the acquisition of a roughly .18-acre site adjacent to Barnes Park, which will add a playground, two basketball courts, a mini soccer field, picnic areas, public art, parking, and public safety infrastructure.
City of Baldwin Park Big Dalton Wash Trail and New Pocket Parks - $3,285,000
A 2.8-mile greenway trail adjacent connecting Hilda Solis Park and Walnut Creek Park, which would also include public art, lighting, landscaping, and signage.
City of Los Angeles, Recreation & Parks New Sixth Street Viaduct PARC - $8,500,000
The state grand provides an influx of funding for PARC, the 12 acres of new green space planned below the Sixth Street Viaduct replacement now taking shape over the L.A. River between Downtown and Boyle Heights. The total cost of the project has been estimated at $29 million, and construction is slated to begin as early as 2022.
City of La Habra Vista Grande Park Expansion - $3,000,000
Addition of a new amphitheater, dog park, play fields, basketball court, volleyball court, gazebo, playground, trail, exercise equipment, picnic areas, art, parking, and a restroom to Vista Grande Park.
City of Covina New Recreation Village Park Phase 1 - $4,845,229
Transformation of a former fruit packing warehouse into an indoor recreation and sports complex, accompanied by a garden pocket park, a dog park, an outdoor rock-climbing area, a cultural memorial wall, a gateway arch, directional signage, and landscaping.
City of Gardena Gardena Aquatic and Senior Center Expansion - $8,500,000
The funding will go toward the acquisition of an adjoining .36-acre site, followed by the construction of a new swimming pool, community center building, landscaping, outdoor gym, and picnic area.
City of South Gate New Urban Orchard Park - $1,919,847
The City of South Gate hopes to transform a 30-acre site adjacent to the L.A. River with wetlands, a community center, a walking path, exercise equipment, play areas, picnic areas, a community garden, artwork, and of course, and orchard.
County of Los Angeles, Parks New San Gabriel Valley Park - $8,500,000
The project would create a new aquatic center in the unincorporated community of West Puente Valley, accompanied by a walking loop, a garden, an amphitheater, a civic art plaza, and a shaded picnic area.
Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust Watts Towers Arts Center Campus Expansion - $4,500,000
The Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust is leading a project which would expand the existing campus surrounding the Watts Towers with a new amphitheater, outdoor classroom, gallery spaces, lawn, and a knoll overlooking the towers.
Other park renovations and revitalization projects awarded funding include:
- City of Alhambra Story Park Renovation $850,000
- City of Alhambra Burke Heritage Park Renovation $250,000
- City of Bell Gardens Veterans Park Renovation $3,977,339
- City of Cudahy Cudahy Park Renovation $6,902,951
- City of Lancaster El Dorado Park Renovation $8,413,446
- City of Los Angeles, Recreation & Parks Hazard Park Renovation $8,271,000
- City of Los Angeles, Recreation & Parks Green Meadows Recreation Center Renovation $6,930,00
- City of Norwalk Hermosillo Community Park Revitalization $8,500,000
- City of Palmdale Melville J. Courson Park Revitalization $4,150,000
- City of Paramount Dills Park Renovation $897,094
- City of San Fernando Las Palmas Park Revitalization Project $4,234,980
- City of South Gate Hollydale Community Park Renovation $4,158,942
- County of Los Angeles, Parks Salazar Park Parkwide Modernization $6,902,000
- Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust 11th Avenue Park Renovation $2,400,000