With Chinatown's L.A. State Historic Park finally reopened after a three-year, $20-million renovation, construction is now in full swing for the reactivation of an adjacent 19th century building.
The former home of the Capitol Milling Company, located at 1231 N. Spring Street until 1998, is being converted into a mixture of creative offices above trendy shops and restaurants. The five-building complex dates back to the early 1880s, according to the website of the Workshop Design Collective.
Renderings of the project, which sits in the shadow of Metro's Chinatown Station, portray numerous modifications to the nearly 140-year-old property. This includes minor expansions of existing structures, and repurposing unused outdoor areas as outdoor seating and gathering spaces.
The Capitol Milling Building is located next-door to Blossom Plaza, a $100-million residential-retail development from Forest City that opened last year. Plans are also in the works for larger developments on a vacant property across Spring Street and a narrow strip of land overlooking the park.
- Capitol Milling Building (Workshop Design Collective)
- Chinatown Archive (Urbanize LA)